Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Tuberculosis Control Program – Duque de Caxias
This center initially began in 1971 as a State Health Unit, but due to the high patient volume, it is now dedicated solely to the city of Duque de Caxias. This TB center accepts patients and referrals from other hospitals (primarily the Moacyr do Carmo Municipal Hospital and Adam Pereira Nunes Hospital), Emergency Care Units, Family Health Programs, and primary units of the municipality. A municipal laboratory inside this unit currently performs smear microscopy and culture on solid medium (Ogawa Kudoh). There is the following equipment: one level 2 biological safety cabinet class II A1, 5 microscopes, two centrifuges, 3 refrigerators, two computers, one printer, one stove and one GeneXpert machine + computer. Of note, GeneXpert started in April 2015.
Multidisciplinary Research Laboratory (LMP) of the Clementino Fraga Filho University Hospital, of Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
Immunology lab assays (e.g., QuantiFERON) for RePORT-Brazil study participants enrolled from Duque de Caxias are performed in this laboratory. The LMP was founded in 1993 by Dr. Lapa e Silva and colleagues to conduct research and research training activities in pathogenesis of inflammatory and infectious diseases affecting different systems.
In its 200 sq. m of laboratory and academic spaces, it hosts 10 full time researchers, 5 full time technicians and 10 graduate students, including 2 post-docs. Research is conducted in the areas of immunology, immunopathology, and immunogenetics of tuberculosis. It contains facilities for cell culture, immunocytochemistry, immunohistochemistry, image analysis, and molecular biology, including a state-of-the-art Real Time PCR and two ELISA readers. All investigators have their own space fully equipped with computers and a shared conference room with capabilities for multimedia presentation and web conference.
- First participant recruited in September 2015
- Population: DS-TB and TB close-contacts
- Enrolled 555 participants to date (226 TB cases and 329 close contacts)
- Micro Lab: INI, Fiocruz / Immuno Lab: UFRJ
Immunology Laboratory, UFRJ, Rio de Janeiro
- Collaborator: Elisangela Silva
- Lab is responsible for processing all samples from Duque de Caxias site
- Over 550 participants from RePORT, with samples collected at Baseline, M1, M2 and end of treatment.
- PBMCs and QuantiFERON, as well as plasma, urine, RNA, etc.
- Evaluated by Duke University since June 2015
- QuantiFERON training
- External (Westat) monitoring visits
Site Investigator: Afranio Kritski
Study Coordinator: Adriana Resende
Study Nurse: Andre Bezerra
Study Physician: Anna Cristina Carvalho
Immunology lab: Elisangela Silva