The Regional Prospective Observational Research in Tuberculosis (RePORT)-Brazil network was established in August, 2013 with funding from the Departamento de Ciência e Tecnologia (DECIT) – Secretaria de Ciência e Tecnologia (SCTIE) of the Ministry of Health of Brazil, and the National Institutes of Health of the United States.
RePORT Brazil is a joint venture among the Departamento de Ciência e Tecnologia/Ministério da Saude (DECIT), the U.S. Office of AIDS Research and NIAID, co-funding a team of Brazil- and U.S.-based investigators to enroll people with active and latent TB in Brazil. Three sites in Rio de Janeiro, one in Manaus, and one in Salvador were selected to enroll up to 1,200 active TB cases and 2,700 close contacts of those TB cases (RePORT-Brazil phase 1). During phase 2 of enrollment (from 2022 to 2027), our plan is to enroll 1,000 new TB cases and 2,000 close contacts.
The consortium sites also represent a diverse population and are enrolling into a single protocol, which is harmonized with the RePORT International Common Protocol. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is the U.S.-based academic partner working with RePORT Brazil. RePORT Brazil is led by a scientific and steering committee composed of researchers and members of NIH and Brazilian Ministry of Health, who provide leadership, governance, and guidance to the consortium.
- Current Group: Regional Prospective Observational Research in Tuberculosis
- Bruno Andrade, MD PhD, Salvador (RePORT PI and Biorepository, Lattes)
- Valeria Rolla, MD PhD, Rio de Janeiro (Co-Investigator, Lattes)
- Afranio Kritski, MD PhD, Rio de Janeiro (Co-Investigator, Lattes)
- Marcelo Santos, MD PhD, Manaus (Co-Investigator, Lattes)
- Cristina Lourenço, Pharm., Rio de Janeiro (Microbiology Lab Director, Lattes)
- José Roberto Lapa e Silva, MD PhD, Rio de Janeiro (Consultant, Lattes)
- Timothy Sterling, MD, Nashville (RePORT PI, MyNCBI)
RePORT-Brazil is part of an International consortia focused on the BRICS countries: RePORT-India, RePORT-South Africa, RePORT-China, RePORT-Indonesia, RePORT-Philippines, RePORT-South Korea. RePORT-Uganda.